Work in Progress: Peaches, Update 10
More of the background is in now, but progress is slow because of the area being covered. This is where soft pastels are a distinct advantage. The background, especially the entertainment center, will not be very detailed, so pencils play a minor role. They can be used to finish up and firm up after the soft pastels have established the base colors. The trouble is I didn’t have the necessary colors for the entertainment center in soft pastels. I have ordered them and they should arrive in a week or so.
I did have soft pastels that could provide base color for the rug and, between the pencils and the soft pastels, I could complete the rug. The floor, being relatively small in area, could be completed with the pencils.
The base color of the rug was achieved by combining the Holbein yellow ochre, burnt umber and van dyke brown, Sennelier 131 (golden ochre), 124 (brown ochre) and 115 (yellow ochre). I applied the colors with the sticks and then blended them by finger. The colors were added and blended a little at a time, adjusting as I went until I was satisfied with the color and tone. On top of the base color I used pencils to indicate the pattern. The red design was achieved with PP 193 (burnt carmine), darkened with PP 280 (burnt umber) and PP 169 (caput mortuum). The green in the rug came from PP 173 (olive green yellowish) and PP 174 (chrome green opaque). PP 280 (burnt umber) was also used to darken the color along the edge.
The wood flooring has rich browns and reds, and also has some sheen, which allows for reflections. PP 169 (caput mortuum), PP 280 (burnt umber), PP 187(burnt ochre) and CO 625 (burnt umber). I created the reflection under Peaches’s right back foot by combining CO ivory, PP caput mortuum, and then darkening a bit with PP burnt umber.
On the original photo, in the background, behind the couch, curtains and the entertainment center is a French door with lites. The photo was taken during the daytime, so a lot of light from outside can be seen through the glass. I felt the light color was distracting, competing with the center of interest – Peaches. At first I wasn’t quite sure how I would treat that area, but decided to keep the background dark. I used PP 280 (burnt umber and CO 625 (burnt umber) to achieve that dark color.
You no doubt noticed that the entire background is predominantly the same brown colors. It was both fortuitous, as most appeared that way naturally, and by design, to have Peaches, with her lighter colors, the center of attention. She easily stands